This chapter is an introduction to a field of life analysis known as 紫微命理 ( Purple Star Life Analysis ). There are two main ways of life analysis now that uses one’s date and birth time.
1. 八字命理 （ Eight Characters )
八字 (Eight Characters) uses the date and time of birth to create 8 characters that is analysed to determine one’s life and luck periods. 紫微 also uses the date and time of birth, but a 12 sector chart is created instead. The 12 sectors lists out 12 parts of a person’s life that is important. Within each sector, different stars will be plotted into the sector based on the date/time of birth. The stars have their own character, and the stars impart their character to the sector that they fall into. Thus, to understand 紫微 analysis, one must have a good understanding of the stars. With this knowledge, and a life chart, anyone can quickly anaylse a life chart with relative good accuracy. I will give a brief description
of the 12 sectors that can be found in a life chart.
- 命宫 ( This is known as the ‘ life sector’. It will give a rough understanding of the person’s personality as a whole, the person’s character. )
- 父 ( This is known as the ‘parents’ sector’. It gives a understanding of a person’s parents, what they are like, their character. It also lets us know how the person’s relationship is with their elders.)
- 福 ( This is known as the ‘mental wealth sector’. It gives a understanding of whether the person can enjoy a leisurely life or hectic life. It is also known as the source of a person’s wealth, thus it gives us an indicator of whether the person can earn money easily.)
- 田 ( This is known as the ‘property sector’. This gives as an indication whether the person can have ‘property’ ( non-movable asserts ). Also let us know what his family/work place is like. This sector is also known as the vault of wealth, thus it gives as indication of whether the person is able to save money.
- 官 ( This is the ‘work sector’. It gives us knowledge of what type of work the person is involved in. It also shows us how well the person can perform in his work. This sector also gives us an indication of how well the person will do in his studies.
- 友 ( This is the ‘friends sector’. It gives us knowledge of what his friends are like. Friends mean people who actually knows the person, including people at the work place. It also gives an indication of what the friends think of him.)
- 迁 ( This is the sector that shows what the ‘external environment’ is like. ‘External environment’ means the person’s surroundings. Also gives an indication of how the world views him. Also shows how well the person will do if he leaves his place of birth to work overseas.
- 病 ( This is the ‘health sector’. It gives us an understanding of how the health of the person will be like, what illness is he likely to get.)
- 财 ( This is the ‘wealth sector’. This sector shows how much wealth ( movable asserts ) the person can use as well as earn. It also shows how the person earns his money and how he spends his money. )
- 子 ( This is the ‘ child sector’. This sector shows the likelihood of having children. Also shows how the children will be like. This is also known as the sector that shows the talent of the person. )
- 妻 ( This is the ‘spouse sector’. This sector shows what the spouse will be like. The likelihood of getting married. It also shows how the person handles his love life, eg what he looks for in the spouse, what he is like when he is in a relationship. )
- 兄 (This is the ‘ sibling sector’. This sector shows what the siblings are like.)
Thus these 12 sectors form the backbone of the Life chart that is plotted from a person’s date/time of birth. It shows all the 12 areas of life that is important. There is one last sector known as ‘身‘ . This sector will fall into one of the 12 sectors. Actually it will fall only into 6 of the 12 sectors: 命宫 ,福 ,官 ,迁 , 财 ,妻 . The sector it falls into will show what the person will concentrate on in life, and will usually tell us what his focus in life is like, especially after 30-35 years of age.
- If 身 falls into 妻 sector, the person will focus on love/family life
- If 身 falls into 财 sector, the person will focus on money, and earning money
- If 身 falls into 迁 sector, the person will focus on ‘going out of the house’, not being able to stay at home.
- If 身 falls into 官 sector, the person will focus on work
- If 身 falls into 福 sector, the person is more focused on the finer aspects of life, focused on ways to ‘enjoy’ life.
- If 身 falls into 命 sector, the person is more focused on ‘self’. This does not mean the person is ‘selfish’. It just shows the person has no tendency to focus on certain aspects of life as the above.
The 身 sector shows the focus of the person’s life, especially after 30 years of age.
One must have a good grasp of the sectors of each chart and what it means. The next step will be the description of the stars. Putting the stars into the respective sector will yield the final result, the Life chart. Analysis of the chart will require one to describe the stars in each sector, and with each sector, the chart comes alive telling us what the life of the person is like.
Besides the above knowledge, we will need a basic understanding of how a chart looks like.
/ 巳 / 午 / 未 / 申 /
/ 辰 / / 酉 /
/ 卯 / / 戌 /
/ 寅 / 丑 / 子 / 亥 /
The basic 12 courts of 紫微 chart looks like the above. The 12 courts each have a chinese character attached to it. This is just a description of the court, just like an address . Thus the court on the left upper corner is always called 巳, and the court at the right upper corner is always called 申. Whenever we look at a chart, it is always arranged in the above manner. This is not be be confused with the 12 sectors of a person’s life: 命，父，福，田，官，友，迁，病，财，子，妻，兄. These 12 sectors are
plotted into the chart based on the date/time of birth.
(Thus , to simplify the understanding: a court like 申 is the address of a place, and if 父 sector is there, it means 父 stays at the address of 申. Next , stars will be plotted into the address box of申, and it will describe to us the resident within it , which is 父.)
The 命 (Life) sector can be in any court based on the date/time of birth. Subsequently, the other sectors will follow a clockwise direction in the same order as i listed above. If 命 (Life) sector is at 寅，then the 父 (Parents) sector will be at 卯, 福 will be at 辰， 田 will be at 巳, etc.
/ 巳 田 / 午 官 / 未 友 / 申 迁 /
/ 辰 福/ / 酉 病/
/ 卯 父 / / 戌 财/
/ 寅 命 / 丑 兄 / 子 妻 / 亥 子/
The next chapter will deal with some very basic rules to follow in 紫微 chart analysis.